Tuesday, July 29, 2014

How Do You Use That and Two for Tuesday Linky

Updated to add if you would like to "Try before you buy" Grammar Goofs and Spelling Spoofs, March is completely and forever free!!
Click the picture to try before you buy March Grammar Goofs and Spelling Spoofs.


I'm linking up once again for Two for Tuesday with the Teaching Tribune.

Today, I'm going to highlight my Homes featuring The Three Little Pigs Resource.
 I just created it this summer, so I haven't had a chance to use it with my kiddos yet, but I'm very excited to use it.  It is resource that incorporates using both fiction and nonfiction stories to learn about different types of homes.

I start with the story of The Three Little Pigs.  After reading the story, we will take time to practice summarizing the story using the S/W/B/W model, somebody/wanted/but/so.  Using that framework, I will provide an example summarizing of the story, then let the children have a chance to summarize the story, using the S/W/B/S stepping stones. 


Next, we will  focus on comparing the three types of houses that the pigs built and brainstorm the pros and cons of each kind of house writing our ideas on a chart that is included in the pack.  Finally, I will ask the children to write about which type of house they would like to live in and why.  

In the next lesson, I will introduce the nonfiction book I have about different kinds of houses. First, we will discuss the different parts of a nonfiction book, looking for examples of those features in our book.  After reading the story, we will look at 8 different types of houses from around the world.  I have included a map of the world, and children will cut and paste the pictures of the houses to the map.

They will use Venn diagrams to compare two or three different types of houses.  Finally, they will work collaboratively to complete a class book entitled, Where Would You Like to Live?  
In the format of the story, they are asked to think about where they would like to live, tell something that would be fun about living there, and then think of something that might be a problem with living there.  I intend to ask my children to really think out of the box on this one!

So that's how I use that!  This resource is on sale for 50% off today.  In addition, in keeping with the fairy tale theme, my newly revamped Retelling and Sequencing with Goldilocks and the Three Bear is also on sale for 50% off today.  I've included a tabbed booklet to retell the story by telling what happens at the beginning, middle, and the end, and a fun game of opposites!

Click on the pictures of the covers of the resources to see the resources in my TpT store.
Be sure to visit the Teaching Tribune by clicking the button above and see what other great resources other sellers are offering at 50% today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think about this post!

 
Blogging tips