Monday, June 17, 2019

Do You Need Vocabulary Word Banks for Amazing Writers?

monthly vocabulary word bank 
Monthly Thematic Word Banks

 Increasing vocabulary in class writing is something that I struggled with until I created these vocabulary word banks.  At first, I just listed the words on chart paper and tried to draw pictures to illustrate the words.  However, with my limited artistic skills, that didn't work out too well.  

So I turned to technology to help create thematic vocabulary word banks. Using the computer, I designed these monthly thematic word banks.  I picked vocabulary pertinent to each month, found coordinating clipart, and added the labels.  Now there was not question for my nonreaders what that picture represented!  Each file comes with 4 parts of the word bank on 8.5 by 11 paper for you to print out and piece together to make a large 17x22 poster.  It also includes  a complete poster on 8.5x11 paper for student to keep at their desks, in their writers notebooks, or whatever system you have put in place for word walls/word banks.

So How Do Vocabulary Word Banks Make Better Writers?

These posters are super handy to help children have the confidence to use seasonal vocabulary without having to worry about how to spell the words.  They provide a ready reference for children when working independently or collaboratively.  The large poster is perfect to put into a writing center.  I use magnetic strips and post it on the side of my metal shelf where I put my writing center.  When children are writing independently, they use the chart for reference both in the center and when writing in their journals.  These really help children make interesting word choices in their writing!

Try It Out!

monthly vocabulary word bank 
Click the picture to download your free August / September Vocabulary Word Bank!

Click the picture above to download your free August/September Word Bank.  Use the posters in addition to your normal writing routine.  Click here for a great beginning of the year writing freebie that you can add to your bag of writing tricks and use in conjunction with this poster. Happy writing!! 


This post originally appeared on Classroom Freebies

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think about this post!

 
Blogging tips